Mike's Pic

Mike's Pic
The Rackler Clan !!

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Module 4 Reflective Blog

How can visual literacy and the use of the Internet impact the teaching and learning process in the classroom?

According to the International Visual Literacy Association's definition of visual literacy it is a fundamental part of normal learning. I hope that teachers have been making sure that students are visually literate for as long as their have been teachers and students. The introduction of the Internet into the teaching environment has given the teacher many more possibilities for achieving visual literacy. The internet provides endless resources for incorporating visual content into any lesson being taught. The impact of the Internet on visual literacy is limitless, all of the resources that teachers had to find, borrow, or buy in years past are readily available on the Internet for free. Students can be given still pictures of anything in the world and the video resources for virtual tours grow everyday.


What are some visual-thinking strategies you would like to use in your classroom?
One of the sites in my research stated "Many students respond to visual learning techniques today because they are growing up in a image driven culture." (Noval, 2007) This sums up today's students as well as any I have read. Today's student needs to be stimulated visually to keep them engaged in the learning process. The two most common strategies and the one's I would most like to incorprate into my teaching are using PowerPoint presentations to introduce new topics to the class and using Inspiration to have students make a plan for there parts of the school website. I have spent most of my teaching just showing the students the tools to do the work and not using other visual tools to help re-enforce the concepts. This is something I hope to cahnge in the next term I have the opportunity to teach.

What role do you want the Internet play in your classroom?
The internet is critical to my teaching, seeing as I teach Web Design. The most important thing I have learned during this course is to find different methods and tools to present material. Students in my course normally watch me perform a skill on the screen and then are asked to duplicate the skill. I have learned that it would enhance the opportunity if I add other visual elements while introducing material. The use of a PowerPoint or video of examples of the skill about to be introduced could help students make real world connections to the material being presented.

Note: I am not sure as to whether or not this is how the blog is to be done or not since there has not been a grade for the post from Module 2. I hope that linking to sources in a blog is sufficient citing since a blog is supposed to be one's thoughts and opinions on a topic. If it need to be different please let me know.

Mike

1 comment:

  1. Mike,
    You have done a great job on the blog. It is very interesting and contains your thoughts and feelings about the different areas of teaching.
    Knowing that these kids are digital natives, it is vital that they get exposed to the use of the internet and use it for other things besides just research.
    The PPTs would be challenging however; they are pretty close to becoming a requirement in different grades. Just having them produce a PPT will give them more of an experience in many areas. They are more interested in their project and will add more ambition and information just to show they can.
    Nancy Bedard

    ReplyDelete